How find all contacts with more than one company

Moderators: dwp, devin

poseidon

How find all contacts with more than one company

Post by poseidon »

I have a problem that always, when I change something on a contact which hast more than one company, the change gets reverted after I sync with gmail.
Even if I delete the second company on my cellphone (sony experia), it comes back after the next sync.
Those are mostly imported contacts from a nokia communicator.

As I have no solution for that, I'd like to search all contacts, which have more than one company, to manually change it.
Is this possible?
Last edited by poseidon on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwp
Site Admin

Re: How find all contacts with more than one company

Post by dwp »

Hello
I do not suggest that synchronization issues. Because part of the synchronization program is not a DWC.
Organization TAB in the new version 2.1.4, you can search multiple companies.
poseidon

Post by poseidon »

But how do i See if a company is the first or the second company of ONE contact?
I'd like to search for a complete list of all contacts which have _more_ than one company.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Sorry, I did not figure out your problem.Now there is no way to do so.
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

Hi poseidon,

Do you want to do this search on a frequent basis?

If you only need to do it occasionally, as you already have your contacts on Google, try exporting them to .CSV, then open the file with Excel and find them that way.

I think Google puts multiple Organisations in one cell, so you may need a little bit of code to make it easy. Or just sort by Organisation and see if that does it.

That may also be the way to get Google to accept the changes - edit in Excel, then Import back to Google.
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)
poseidon

Post by poseidon »

I'd like to be able to edit all contact information on my cellphone.
It there is no way to tell google to synt multiple organisations right, i only need once the possibillity to search for all those contacts having more than one company and delete them.

unfortunately, exporting to cvs doesn't work, as google doesn't export the fields for the second company at all.

What else can i do?!?
AlCan

Post by AlCan »

poseidon wrote:I'd like to be able to edit all contact information on my cellphone.
May not be possible - sorry, not easily possible.
poseidon wrote:It there is no way to tell google to synt multiple organisations right, i only need once the possibillity to search for all those contacts having more than one company and delete them.
If you only need to do it once, there must be a practicable way.
poseidon wrote:unfortunately, exporting to cvs doesn't work, as google doesn't export the fields for the second company at all.
OHHHH! Right you are!!! I must have confused myself. Google is so inconsistent. It has Yomi Name and every other Yomi option, but it doesn't even Export multiple Organisation details. In fact, I now wonder if it even saves / sync's them. It certainly doesn't Export them, EVER. Not in google.csv, nor Outlook (contacts.csv), nor in vCard format.

However, there may still be a way. Don't know your phone, but does it have an Export Contacts to vCard option? Mine (Motorola) does. It only uses vCard V2.2, but it does export at least two Organizations.
poseidon wrote:What else can i do?!?
I would try to Export to vCard, copy to PC, open with Excel. I'm working on some simple code to identify the Multiple Company contacts...

Later: Okay, try this:

Open your vCard file using Excel. You should find all the data in column A, starting at A1.

Insert a blank line before Row 1.

Type-in the digit 0 into cell B1.

Copy and Paste the following into cell B2.

Code: Select all

=IF(A2="BEGIN:VCARD",0,IF(LEFT(A2,4)="ORG:",B1+1,B1))
Copy and Paste the following into cell C2.

Code: Select all

=IF(B2>1,"MULTIPLE COMPANY CONTACT", "")
Select Cells B2 + C2. Using the fill handle (bottom right square block in select area border), drag the formulas vertically down the sheet, all the way to the end of your data column.

Using FInd, or simply by scrolling down, locate the lines marked MULTIPLE COMPANY CONTACT. These lines will repeat from the second Organisation line in each contact, to the end of that contact - i.e. to the next END:VCARD line.

You can now see which contacts have multiple Organizations. How many you have, I have no idea. You may be happy to Manually find and delete each one?

You could try deleting from Google contacts, or from your phone. Not sure which will work best. (When I did something like this, I deleted ALL my contacts and reloaded, but you might not be game...) Manually deleting may still be long and tedious, if you have many to delete. Hopefully, being able to find them is enough?

Otherwise, you could go the vCard Import route... But it has risks. Many vCard implementations reformat your phone numbers to aaa-bbb-cccc format. You may not like it - I don't - but not sure if there's a way around that using vCard. Not sure what other options there are. If you want to use vCard, you can automate further, if you can be bothered?

Let me know...

Al
Currently (i.e Now, not necessarily the date of this post)
using DW Contacts & Dialer version 2.5.3.0-pro
On Motorola Defy with Android 2.2.2 (Work Phone)