Groups and contacts with "WhatsApp"

Moderators: dwp, devin

seaman

Groups and contacts with "WhatsApp"

Post by seaman »

Hello,

thank you for this great app. It's worth every cent.

I have a question about groups and contacts with "WhatsApp": If I have a contact in a group and this contact has WhatsApp, I can see the groupe-name twice. Please see the screenshot:
DW_App.png
DW_App.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
Is this a bug? Or is this normal?

Thank you.

PS.:
Sorry for my english. I hope, you understand me.
camel

Re: Groups and contacts with "WhatsApp"

Post by camel »

sorry, i never tried "whatsapp", and have no idea ...
is this another socal network type ?

you can try to diable to merge the same group names,and then look to tab "groups", there look which icon is on that group name.
(see settings -> detailed view settings -> groups view settings)
(maybe you are having 2 groups or 2 accounts in same group ?)

sorry,but i have no whatsapp account, and don'Tlike to test all social networks. whatsapp is almost not used by many users. so i saved my timeto look mat this type.

all the social networks accounts are READ-ONLY and not interesting to change any informations.
they are only for copying to another account type or for viewing ..

maybe on a future version i will take a look on it, but can't tell you when ...
seaman

Post by seaman »

camel wrote: (see settings -> detailed view settings -> groups view settings)
(maybe you are having 2 groups or 2 accounts in same group ?)
No, the settings are correct.
sorry,but i have no whatsapp account, and don'Tlike to test all social networks.
No problem. Don't worry, it isn't really a problem, but it doesn't look good. ;) :D
whatsapp is almost not used by many users.
WhatsApp is the same like SMS on mobilephones, but it works with internet and not with the mobile-network like SMS. WhatsApp has around the world many many many users. I know many people in europe (specially in germany and france) and some in china and USA, with a WhatsApp account.
camel

Post by camel »

hi, i tested it and regsiter to this whatsapp,and it is working fine for me.
i amdea group:"1234", then i add contacts to it ...
then i view in contact list,and i onl see this 1 group.
maybe you have another group double times or whatever ?
you can tryto make a new group with type: "whatsapp" and name: "1_whatsapp", then long click on this group ->"add contact for group".
then take a look again.
cu camel
seaman

Post by seaman »

camel wrote:hi, i tested it and regsiter to this whatsapp,and it is working fine for me.
i amdea group:"1234", then i add contacts to it ...
then i view in contact list,and i onl see this 1 group.
maybe you have another group double times or whatever ?
Thank you, for the test and for your support.

If I create a new group and add a contact with WhatsApp I can see the groupe-name double times in the contact list. For example, if I have two groups and in every group is the same contact with WhatsApp, I can see both groups double times in the cantact list.

But I don't no why. Maybe it's because of the root and/or the alternative installed ROM (CyanogenMod 7.1.0)?
camel

Post by camel »

if you are having 2 groupswith same name,then it will be shown as 2 groups. this is normal, because 1 group is on profile "local" and 1 is on "whatsapp". this is different then.
if you are having only 1 group, then it will only shown 1 group.

groupsare also related to contact account data.
so if you are having a group "ABC" in local, and same group name in EAS, and same in google, then there are 3 groups.
on tab "group" same names of groups can be shown as 1 (merging groups with same names - see settings -> detailed view settings -> group view settings -> "Merge groups"), but there will be always 3 different groups.
Malversan

Post by Malversan »

I can confirm that this happens with any contact that is a merge of different accounts' contacts.

Let's imagine we have these individual contacts:
- Contact "John Smith" in group "A", from a Google account.
- Contact "John Smith" in group "B", from a Facebook account.
- Contact "John Smith" with no group, from a Whatsapp account.

The resulting merged contact appears in the contacts list as having two times the group "A" and two times the group "B". In my opinion that is very confusing, and also clutters the contacts' groups row impeding to see all the contact groups.

When looking at the contact details, the group names "A" and "B" appear correctly, only once.

It seems that, when merging contacts from different accounts, sometimes Android assigns the same groups to all the individual contacts involved. And that seems to be confusing DW.

Could DW check if group names from a merged contact are repeated to only show them once in the contacts list?

Thanks in advance.
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hi Malversan
Thank you.I will merge the group of the same name.If this option is turned on.
http://wiki.dw-p.net/DWC:Settings#Merge_groups