Facebook images

Moderators: dwp, devin

KimGordon

Facebook images

Post by KimGordon »

Hi!
I bought your Pro license today.
There are no facebook pictures for each contact in the list. But when i select one contact for more info I can see the picture in uppermost left corner.
Why?

mvh
Kim
adamf663

Re: Facebook images

Post by adamf663 »

How about if somebody would answer this question?
When I had sense, the htc sense facebook syn facility would handle pictures.
I now have cyanogenmod and no htc sense.
Facebook is in the accounts list and when it loads pictures I can see it in the stock contacts application.
However, dw contacts totally ignores the facebook facility even though it is enabled in the settings/display.

P.S. I tried to search for an answer, but this silly forum is set up so that one can't search for 'facebook', or 'link',
camel

Post by camel »

hi
adamf663 wrote:How about if somebody would answer this question?
When I had sense, the htc sense facebook syn facility would handle pictures.
I now have cyanogenmod and no htc sense.
Facebook is in the accounts list and when it loads pictures I can see it in the stock contacts application.
However, dw contacts totally ignores the facebook facility even though it is enabled in the settings/display.
i have no idea, why all guys are having problems with the facebook.
it is working fine for me (installed "facebook for android"
maybe next version is better.

facebook is a very very sad account type, because it is read-only and is on almost all dsystems different, and we had not enough time to take care of "unsupported" accounts types or account types, which are not using the contact database as it is defined in android AOSP code API.
if we have time we will try to take care of it.
adamf663 wrote: P.S. I tried to search for an answer, but this silly forum is set up so that one can't search for 'facebook', or 'link',
yes, you are right ...the search engine is not working very fine :(. i must take a look, why it is working so strange.
thanks for reporting
adamf663

Post by adamf663 »

Workaround still is to install second Facebook client
adamf663

Post by adamf663 »

adamf663 wrote:Workaround still is to install second Facebook client
On a laptop now so I can be more specified (i hate typing on cellphones)...

Phone is a sprint HTC evo (supersonic) I've used the following roms:
stock froyo
vaelpak froyo
cyanogen mod dailies gingerbread
synergy gingerbread (very similar to stock gingerbread)
now I use cyanogen stable 7.1.0 gingerbread

the stock, vaelpak and synergy roms are all sense roms and include the sense facebook account service.

The official facebook client also has a service but it does NOT work with DW contacts/phone. This is the issue of this thread. I've used versions of the facebook client going back 14 months and none of them work with DW. They'll download contact photos, and these photos will be associated with contacts in the stock android contact manager, but not DW. DW doesn't even show facebook contact collected by the official facebook client. I can see the little data source icons (lgoogle, cardDAV sync, and facebook isn't on the list.

The workaround before was to also have the Sense facebook account service running to retrieve the facebook contact data including pictures. I'd still use the official facebook client, but the htc facebook service would get facebook contacts and photos that DW could handle.

Now that I'm using a sense-less rom, the workaround is to use a different facebook client. I'm using friendCaster free and when it retrieves contacts and photos, DW sees them.

This may also help with figuring out what is going on -- DW also is unable to see contacts from linked-in.
camel

Post by camel »

please see: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1188
cu camel
PaulWilliam80

Post by PaulWilliam80 »

Great article …Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.
camel

Post by camel »

PaulWilliam80 wrote:Great article …Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.
you're welcome. as you see this is the issue of facebook - and i don't understand why they are doing it in such stupid way.
but, well, i don't use it. facebook is more for childrens or private stuff. dwc is optimized to business users, and not to kids which are more interested on a funny skin for dialer. this is not our focus :)
danube

Post by danube »

Hi;

I have Facebook app installed and ALL my contacts synced. Comparable contact apps show these FB contacts and link them with the appropriate contact. Not so DW (at least not out of the box).
Is there a simple way to achieve this without installing another app or is this the only way possible?

@ camel: Good (but not any kind of useful intel) that you don't use FB; other customers do. Even when you put me to "kids which are more interested on a funny skin for dialer" who are looking for "childrens or private stuff". Sorry, didn't know bout that club restriction before I bought that one. And no need to discuss pros and cons here.

Can you support me with my request?

Thanks!
Tom
danube

Post by danube »

Hi;

after buying the pro version, I'm looking for a way to get facebook contacts displayed. I see to get things done by installing an additional application, but is there a way DW shows these contacts without another application like other contact apps do?

@ camel: I and many of your customers do use FB, more or less. Now put me to your "kids which are more interested on a funny skin for dialer" looking "for childrens or private stuff", but I use my mobile both for business and private matters and compared with other contact apps, comments like yours lead users away from your product.

So, still looking for my FB contacts to show up in my lists. Any help available?

Thank you!
Tom
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Sorry, I have no good way. Facebook prohibit third-party applications to access data in the contact database.
Moviegene

Post by Moviegene »

I dont know if the helps anyone.

Ive been using HaxSync which works great. I leave the facebook app kicking around but have it set to not sync my contacts.
Coyotagirl

Post by Coyotagirl »

I'm having problems on sync facebook images... someone Can help me? Thanks
dwp
Site Admin

Post by dwp »

Hello
Please refer to here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1188