Name Display in contact list

Moderators: dwp, devin

Snake-Plissken

Name Display in contact list

Post by Snake-Plissken »

Hi there,
i love your app, using currently the free version, because i still have some issues with the software.
my biggest one is:

i sort my contacts by last name, first name

if a contact hast a skype account linked to it... the contact will be sorted in at the right position but it will show first name, last name...instead of the other way.

can you check this and fix it?

best regards

Peter
camel

Re: Name Display in contact list

Post by camel »

Snake-Plissken wrote:Hi there,
i love your app, using currently the free version, because i still have some issues with the software.
my biggest one is:

i sort my contacts by last name, first name

if a contact hast a skype account linked to it... the contact will be sorted in at the right position but it will show first name, last name...instead of the other way.

can you check this and fix it?

best regards

Peter
skype contacts can not be shown different.
skype contacts will be renmaed in skype directly.
the first part is "firstname"
the second part is "lastname"
this is working for me.

additional - skpye contacts can't renamed in android. and can only be renamed in skype application. in android it is only "read-only"

please check the name in your skype.

you can check this
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

but you should make a change to that or at least let the user choose. because it is all messed up. because i renamed all my skype contacts manual to last name - firstname in my skype app on my desktop pc, same way i want to sort my contacts in my phonebook, because i have so much. if i rename all my skype contacts to fist name last name....my whole desktop skype will be messed up. there must be another way. dw contacts shouldnt use the skype app name to display the name in the contact list. it should use the google or phone contact name....
because in the standard android contact app of gingerbread it works without any hassels....

is there any way for modifications on your app?

would be awesome, because i love the app so far...but that is one of my main concerns....almost no app (except of standard gingerbread contact app) is capable of doing that....
camel

Post by camel »

Snake-Plissken wrote:but you should make a change to that or at least let the user choose. because it is all messed up. because i renamed all my skype contacts manual to last name - firstname in my skype app on my desktop pc, same way i want to sort my contacts in my phonebook, because i have so much. if i rename all my skype contacts to fist name last name....my whole desktop skype will be messed up. there must be another way. dw contacts shouldnt use the skype app name to display the name in the contact list. it should use the google or phone contact name....
because in the standard android contact app of gingerbread it works without any hassels....

is there any way for modifications on your app?

would be awesome, because i love the app so far...but that is one of my main concerns....almost no app (except of standard gingerbread contact app) is capable of doing that....
sorry, this is android related ...
android or better ..skype save the name in contacts db to firstname and second part to lastname.
so, this must be changed in skype. maybe i'm wrong ....
skype do not have firstname lastname fields ... android's skype version did this saving to db in the fields ...
so, what should we change ?
next we must look if LinkeIn or facebook doesn't do it correct ??
on the other side - all these things will cost cpu and speed .... because we can not change it in database - skpye, facebook, and other SNS accounts are "read-only"...
sure, i can set it to my todolist ... but not sure, if this makes sense ...
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

i dont know if we are on the same point. it works fine with facebook and linkedin because there is a first and last name field. but the thing is, why does the contact app use the skype name to show it in the contact list and not the google account name, which has first and lastname fields.

if i open the standard android contact app, it works fine...all the contacts linked with skype are shown by last name first name. you know what i mean.

the problem is if, i change it in skype...my whole skype list on desktop and even on the skype app on my andorid will be messed up because now it will be sorted by firstname...

because in your app it is strange if a contact has the name "jack bauer" (where jack is first name and bauer lastname) and i save it in skype as bauer jack, it will be shown in your app (if i sort by last name) und B but not like others as lastname firstname, it will be shown as jack bauer but still sorted in alphabeticaly right under b like bauer.

thats the thing i dont get. have the same problem with go contacts but there it is completly messed up, the same contact there would be shown under "j" for jack and not under b as it is supposed to be.

you know what i mean?

you dont have to change the skype name in the db, there should be just the option which name to choose to display. if you have like a htc phone and you have a contact linked to more accounts. you can choose in a dropdown list which name you wanna use to show in the contact list....
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

i dont know if we are on the same point. it works fine with facebook and linkedin because there is a first and last name field. but the thing is, why does the contact app use the skype name to show it in the contact list and not the google account name, which has first and lastname fields.

if i open the standard android contact app, it works fine...all the contacts linked with skype are shown by last name first name. you know what i mean.

the problem is if, i change it in skype...my whole skype list on desktop and even on the skype app on my andorid will be messed up because now it will be sorted by firstname...

because in your app it is strange if a contact has the name "jack bauer" (where jack is first name and bauer lastname) and i save it in skype as bauer jack, it will be shown in your app (if i sort by last name) und B but not like others as lastname firstname, it will be shown as jack bauer but still sorted in alphabeticaly right under b like bauer.

thats the thing i dont get. have the same problem with go contacts but there it is completly messed up, the same contact there would be shown under "j" for jack and not under b as it is supposed to be.

you know what i mean?

you dont have to change the skype name in the db, there should be just the option which name to choose to display. if you have like a htc phone and you have a contact linked to more accounts. you can choose in a dropdown list which name you wanna use to show in the contact list....
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

i just made another interesting discover...so it has to be your app. because some of my contacts with skype account are shown right some others are wrong. but all are saved in skype as lastname firstname....and it also works finde with stock android contacts. is it possible to put something in to select the shown name?

thanks
camel

Re: Name Display in contact list [Skype] ?

Post by camel »

hmm, this is very strange ... because it seems to be working on my device ...
but it is true, that android sort/merge the contacts, which seems to be identically together, and then i have no idea which name they use to display ...
in database, it finds a name and use the name from first founded contact and show this name ...
to handle this automatically with a logic will be not easy ...
i will try to take a look later ....(if all other parts for next version are inplace, and will think abou this issue at least .. because this can cost a lot of time, and don't want loose to much time, where i know the source address of this issue is in android.we could do here only a dirty bug fixing, because the real problem is skype or in android code, which i can't change ..
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

ok i hope it is possilbe that you can fix this. then this app would be the absolute killer app...but there should be a way. because i have another phone running htc sense and in their contact app you can select the name (out of all entried which are linked in the db to this contact) which should be shown. shouldnt be impossible, but i am no developer, so i dont have experience with this.

Update: i guess i found a solution: if you uncheck as contact source "skype" then it will display everything right. as far as i can tell for now...
camel

Post by camel »

Snake-Plissken wrote:ok i hope it is possilbe that you can fix this. then this app would be the absolute killer app...but there should be a way. because i have another phone running htc sense and in their contact app you can select the name (out of all entried which are linked in the db to this contact) which should be shown. shouldnt be impossible, but i am no developer, so i dont have experience with this.

Update: i guess i found a solution: if you uncheck as contact source "skype" then it will display everything right. as far as i can tell for now...
how can you uncheck the source "skype" in DWC ?
then you will only see the skype contacts, which are merged to another account types ..
Snake-Plissken

Post by Snake-Plissken »

camel wrote:
Snake-Plissken wrote:ok i hope it is possilbe that you can fix this. then this app would be the absolute killer app...but there should be a way. because i have another phone running htc sense and in their contact app you can select the name (out of all entried which are linked in the db to this contact) which should be shown. shouldnt be impossible, but i am no developer, so i dont have experience with this.

then you will only see the skype contacts, which are merged to another account types ..
you go to menu-more-settings-account data in there you uncheck skype and all the contacts will be shown right, because the already linked to other contacts. but it doesnt show any "only skype" contacts anymore, which doesnt matter for me, because every skype contact has a regular contact profile...
camel

Post by camel »

Snake-Plissken wrote:
camel wrote:

you go to menu-more-settings-account data in there you uncheck skype and all the contacts will be shown right, because the already linked to other contacts. but it doesnt show any "only skype" contacts anymore, which doesnt matter for me, because every skype contact has a regular contact profile...
yes, i got it now ...and this behavor is normal, because DWc only show the contacts from other "accounts", and skpye will be not displayed directly - only if skype is on a merged contact.
i don't belive, that it is possible to tell, who is the master for displaying, but i will talk to dwp(admin, developer)
cu camel