No favorites after restore - copied from Questions

Moderators: dwp, devin

lvniceguy

No favorites after restore - copied from Questions

Post by lvniceguy »

Didn't want to duplicate post but as this seems an unsolved problem...

I've been using DW-P for years - the only dialer and contact manager!

I just reset my phone and restored from backups and have an odd bug I've never seen... while I have all my contacts (from Google) I have no favorites. None.

I have several contacts that show "starred in Android" - but Favorites continues to be empty. I've tried creating new contacts and starring them - same. I've tried clearing cache. I've tried clearing and re-applying stars.

I should also say that there are no "most contacted callers" shown either - even though the option is enabled. I do have call history showing in both the main call log and when viewing contact details.

Any ideas? This happens to be a T-Mobile based Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Oreo.
lvniceguy

Re: No favorites after restore - copied from Questions

Post by lvniceguy »

A little more info - I tried creating some new contacts and starring them - but instead of using my Google account I created them using both my Samsung account and the local phone storage. And these are visible in the Favorites tab.

Still no "most frequent" - but I haven't made any calls with these fake contacts as I want to use Google as my contact storage.

Do I need to duplicate my Google contacts to another storage location for all features to work?
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Log on to the PC version of Google then Contacts...

https://www.google.com/contacts/u/0/?cplus=0#contacts

Select the Starred group. What do you see?
lvniceguy

Post by lvniceguy »

They're all there.

I generally use the "new" Google Contacts - there wasn't a Starred group in that view. But using the link you gave I do have a Starred group - and I have the contacts I'm expecting.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

...and you've synced your phone contacts (Google a/c) to the Google Cloud?
lvniceguy

Post by lvniceguy »

Yup - contact sync in instant and continuous. All the contacts are shown - including the contacts that should appear in Favorites in DW Dialer - and those that are "starred" have stars. They simply don't display in the Favorites tab, and there's also nothing for Recents in the Favorites either (Favorites tab is simply empty).
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

If you go into Settings/Contacts/Show starred contacts at the top (ticked), do the Starred contacts then appear at the top of the Contacts display?
lvniceguy

Post by lvniceguy »

Yes - that's what I had previously.
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

If I tick that setting, Show starred contacts at the top, then Favourites appear both in the Favourites tab and at the top of Contacts. The fact that yours does not appear in Favourites tab has me stuck. Could it be you are using a Theme that has a bug in it? Other than that I have no idea.
Maybe you could try uninstall DWP then reinstall and refresh contacts from the cloud. Sorry, my expertise is exhausted.
lvniceguy

Post by lvniceguy »

Hmm...another symptom. Selecting a new number in the call log, choosing "Add Contact" - if under "Contacts to Display" I have "All Contacts" selected...all that is shown are the three contacts on my SIM card. If I choose "All Contacts with Phone Numbers" then the list displays properly.
lvniceguy

Post by lvniceguy »

I feel like an idiot, but in my defense, this is hardly obvious.

I did some more poking around in settings - and looked under "Contacts to Display" and found "Customized List". As this wasn't selected I would have thought it wouldn't apply... but it obviously does.

In "Customized List" I saw most of my Google contact categories weren't selected - including "Starred in Android". Guess what happened after I selected it...

Note that this seems to retain its effect regardless of whether "All Contacts", "Contacts with Phone Numbers", or "Customized List" is selected - I have my favorites and frequents again!
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

Mines behaves the same. Under Customised the only one ticked was My Contacts. I unticked and then changed from Customised to All Contacts. Despite that I lost Favourites. I reckon that's a bug.
NFT

Post by NFT »

Where do you find "Contacts to Display" , I have "Phone", "Contacts", "Contacts details", "History", and others before and after but no "Contacts to Display", I and have also checked inside "Phone","Contacts" ,"Contacts details" & "Global settings" not to be found.
And I have same issue.
Favorities tab are empty (if "Show most contacted below favori..." are not selected ), but under Contacts tab Starred are shown and list them as normal.
NFT

Post by NFT »

Found it, and it is not in Settings !
It is within the Contacts tab under more (the 3 dots), here and ONLY here you find the "Contacts to display" that also influence what other tabs show !
And the bug is that "All Contacts" are not all Groups on all Accounts.
You must select "Customized list" and manually select from what Accounts you want "Starred in Android" included.
Especially if one or more of these Accounts do not have any Contacts Starred or do not have that group, then DW maybe over see that other Accounts have "Starred in Android" Contacts.

So to me it looks like a DW issue with multiple Accounts, and "All Contacts" are the not ALL.
Work-A-Round use "Customized list" for "Contacts to display", (and find it under more within the Contacts tab)
pollensa1946

Post by pollensa1946 »

NFT wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:06 am Found it, and it is not in Settings
It is under Settings/Global Settings/Contacts to display