Account Filter Doesn't Enforce Default Account

Moderators: dwp, devin

snottnose

Account Filter Doesn't Enforce Default Account

Post by snottnose »

(This isn't a bug, but rather a missed feature. Thank you for creating this fantastic app in the first place. Then many more thanks for the discipline and hard work required to maintain & advance it, and deal with all of us users.)

Under {Settings -> Global settings -> Contacts to display -> Account data}, I long-pressed {Account data}. Then I selected my choice of accounts.

Then, when I add a new contact, under {Create new contact -> Saving to} it still defaults to "Device". If my account display is filtered to 1 account, then why should new contacts be saved to another account by default?

This is important because it takes a lot of time to recover a contact in a wrong account. I have to:

1) Filter contacts to the offending account
2) Export that contact
3) Re-filter accounts back to my desired default
4) Import the misplaced contact

When you're on-the-go, its difficult to remember changing the "Saving to" each time a contact is created. So, periodically, I have to scrub my contacts for ones that I misplaced .

All this could be avoided if the default "Saving to" account was enforced by the Account filter. I realize this wouldn't be a trivial coding effort. But privacy has become a priority for many of us, and an increasing number of users will want to avoid Google as the host of their contact data.

Could you please consider this as a priority in your next version?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
DWP v3.2.2.2 on a Google Pixel 6 Pro running GrapheneOS
devin

Re: Account Filter Doesn't Enforce Default Account

Post by devin »

Hello
The current contact editor is provided by the system. Dialog boxes are displayed by the system. There is no good solution for now.