Deleted System Group: Friends now GMail Contacts do not sync

Moderators: dwp, devin

gentscji

Deleted System Group: Friends now GMail Contacts do not sync

Post by gentscji »

Well the software warned me and I pushed the wrong button to delete the "System Group: Friends" and now my sync to GMail contacts just hangs and contact updates are not syncing to the phone. I did note that the delete worked, deleting the System Group: Friends from both the Phone and GMail, so there was some partial sync that occurred but now sync is stuck. I tried restoring my GMail contacts from GMail to their state as of yesterday and this did restore the System Group: Friends in GMail on the web, but this has not solved the sync problem with my phone. Please help...

DW version 2.0.7.1-pro

DRIOD2 GLOBAL
Android version 2.3.3
Baseband version N_01.80.00R
Kernal version 2.6.32.9-gb092e69 w36084@ca25rhe92 #2
Build number 4.5.1_57_D2G.38
ERI version 5
PRL version 52482
camel

Re: Deleted System Group: Friends now GMail Contacts do not

Post by camel »

gentscji wrote:Well the software warned me and I pushed the wrong button to delete the "System Group: Friends" and now my sync to GMail contacts just hangs and contact updates are not syncing to the phone. I did note that the delete worked, deleting the System Group: Friends from both the Phone and GMail, so there was some partial sync that occurred but now sync is stuck. I tried restoring my GMail contacts from GMail to their state as of yesterday and this did restore the System Group: Friends in GMail on the web, but this has not solved the sync problem with my phone. Please help...

DW version 2.0.7.1-pro

DRIOD2 GLOBAL
Android version 2.3.3
Baseband version N_01.80.00R
Kernal version 2.6.32.9-gb092e69 w36084@ca25rhe92 #2
Build number 4.5.1_57_D2G.38
ERI version 5
PRL version 52482
thanks for report,
well i never tried to remove system groups grom google.

normally i would reboot, then go to system settings -> account -> click on google account and resync, then it should work again.

also you can try to look to google account via intern browser - login and look if your contacts there normal.
also you can try to delete data on gmail -> see: system settings -> application -> manage -> all -> go to gmail, and "delete data", then reboot and resync.

cu camel
gentscji

Post by gentscji »

Thank-you for the reply Camel,

I did try these things but I am still stuck. One positive, although the sync does hang, it does appear to perform the sync. So I guess I can trigger this manually and have just lost the automatic sync feature...

After some research what I think I need to do is clear the data for my contacts and have it reloaded via sync. All my contacts are in GMail. I founds posts recommending I * backup my contacts (or get them all into GMail) * and then go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> All -> Contacts Storage and select "Clear data", but the Clear data button is greyed out and not available for selection on my phone. Might you know how I can enable the Clear data button on my Contacts Storage application? I think this will allow the phone to clean up the issue with the System Group: Friends.

Thank-you.
camel

Post by camel »

gentscji wrote:Thank-you for the reply Camel,

I did try these things but I am still stuck. One positive, although the sync does hang, it does appear to perform the sync. So I guess I can trigger this manually and have just lost the automatic sync feature...

After some research what I think I need to do is clear the data for my contacts and have it reloaded via sync. All my contacts are in GMail. I founds posts recommending I * backup my contacts (or get them all into GMail) * and then go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> All -> Contacts Storage and select "Clear data", but the Clear data button is greyed out and not available for selection on my phone. Might you know how I can enable the Clear data button on my Contacts Storage application? I think this will allow the phone to clean up the issue with the System Group: Friends.

Thank-you.
first, i would made a backup of your system (ex: titanium backup)
then you can try to clean:
.) GMAIL
.) Google Contact Sync
.) Contact memory
.) Account & Synchronisation

after that - try to reboot