Multiple contacts from same organization

Moderators: dwp, devin

nstong

Multiple contacts from same organization

Post by nstong »

Hello, great app. One issue I have is that when I call a contact at their office number, the dialer will choose another contact name from the same organization (has same main business number). Any way to keep it from doing this? The call log is incorrect, and if the person I'm trying to reach is not in the office I can't quickly follow up with a call to their mobile because the wrong contact is in the call log.

Thanks!
-Nate
camel

Re: Multiple contacts from same organization

Post by camel »

nstong wrote:Hello, great app. One issue I have is that when I call a contact at their office number, the dialer will choose another contact name from the same organization (has same main business number). Any way to keep it from doing this? The call log is incorrect, and if the person I'm trying to reach is not in the office I can't quickly follow up with a call to their mobile because the wrong contact is in the call log.

Thanks!
-Nate
hi,
well, how should DWC know, which guy called you from the company number, if there are several guys which are having the same number ?
if you call back, how do you know, who called you ? you can only ask the outbound side - nothing else :)

DWC will search for a contact with phone number, and will find the first of them.

if you have multiple contacts with the same number - how do you know who is calling you ?
(we can develope a software,and can add logic, but we can not add any logic, which we can not consider ... :)
so, computer only doing, what we will learn them :=) - and the six sense is still missing for computers :)

tip, take care, that no contact having the same number, then it is clear.

or like others are doing this like:

example:
3 guys (Andy, Mike, Steve) are working in the same company "COCA"
all are having different mobile number + all are having the same work number

then save it like:
1.) contact: COCA -> add work number
2.) contact: Andy -> add only mobile number
3.) contact: Mike -> add only mobile number
4.) contact: Steve -> add only mobile number

so, it is up 2 you :)

cu camel
nstong

Post by nstong »

Thanks camel for the reply. I agree regarding the incoming call; how would the phone know? However, my question was posed "when I call a contact..." and the software knows the contact I hit "dial" next to and should therefore be able to plug that contact into the call log. I just ditched my BBerry Pearl for this Atrix Droid and the Pearl call log did this just fine.

For example I want to call Xavier at work so I type 928 then I see Xavier in the search list. If the work number is indeed displayed I hit the dial button and then the phone displays (and logs) a different contact from Xavier's company. If the work number isn't displayed, I long press on the contact, then select "View Contact," then press the dial button corresponding to the work number, which also results in a different contact from the same company being displayed/logged. (Sidenote: I put in a separate feature request about the ability to swipe to different numbers for the contacts shown in the call log tab, or prompt which number to call when pressing the dial button). Either way, the phone is aware that I've just search for and dialed Xavier, but then selects a different contact. Seems fixable.

Your workaround of creating new contacts for the organization and then deleting the work number isn't practical for me. My contacts are synced with my work account and vCards would be incomplete for example. Plus I'd have to remember which contacts to search for by organization and which I could search for by name.

For incoming calls from a number common to multiple contacts, I'm sure code could be written to display the organization name rather than a contact name in the call log. I think that's how the BBerry handled incoming calls.

Thanks again!
camel

Post by camel »

nstong wrote:Thanks camel for the reply. I agree regarding the incoming call; how would the phone know? However, my question was posed "when I call a contact..." and the software knows the contact I hit "dial" next to and should therefore be able to plug that contact into the call log. I just ditched my BBerry Pearl for this Atrix Droid and the Pearl call log did this just fine.

For example I want to call Xavier at work so I type 928 then I see Xavier in the search list. If the work number is indeed displayed I hit the dial button and then the phone displays (and logs) a different contact from Xavier's company. If the work number isn't displayed, I long press on the contact, then select "View Contact," then press the dial button corresponding to the work number, which also results in a different contact from the same company being displayed/logged. (Sidenote: I put in a separate feature request about the ability to swipe to different numbers for the contacts shown in the call log tab, or prompt which number to call when pressing the dial button). Either way, the phone is aware that I've just search for and dialed Xavier, but then selects a different contact. Seems fixable.

Your workaround of creating new contacts for the organization and then deleting the work number isn't practical for me. My contacts are synced with my work account and vCards would be incomplete for example. Plus I'd have to remember which contacts to search for by organization and which I could search for by name.

For incoming calls from a number common to multiple contacts, I'm sure code could be written to display the organization name rather than a contact name in the call log. I think that's how the BBerry handled incoming calls.

Thanks again!

DWC do not post any call to call log.
this will bedone by internal system dialer API.
DWC can only show the call logs, and in call log there is no information about which contact you have called - there is only the number - nothing else.
so, if this should be fixed, then it must be done by google (in android system itself).
you can try to post a feature request on google android threads - google/search for it,maybe you are lucky ...
so, this is nothing what can be fixed in DWC. this is limited by field support in android system.

cu camel