"Display as" and sorting

Moderators: dwp, devin

Trinidus

"Display as" and sorting

Post by Trinidus »

Hi,

I am just testing your app and really like it. But there is still one point I am dealing with: I want to sort my contacts alphabetically from A to Z and display them with nickname (if specified) and if no nickname exists with first and last name. Is this possible with the current version?
And if not, would this be possible:
Define a "display as" order per defined priorities, check contacts for it and sort them by this order from a to z or z to a (with possibility to specify order).
I am thinking of the possibilities: "Nickname", "First name", "Last Name", "First name and last name, first name first", "First name and last name, last name first"
And you can give them priority numbers like "Nickname - 1, First name and last name, first name first - 2, First name - 3, last name - 4, first name and last name, last name first - 5"
The display would for this example be: If Nickname existing - "Nickname", if not and first AND last name existing - "first name last name" and if not both existing but first name only - "first name" and if no first name existing but last name - "last name"
And for sorting just use this display-order and sort it from a to z or z to a.
Because now if I am sorting by nickname every contact without a nickname is sorted first and after this the contacts with nicknames are sorted which is kinda bad "sorting" because it is sorting wrong...

Another example:
Priority - Option
1 - First name
2 - Nickname
3 - Last name
4 - First name and last name, first name first
5 - First name and last name, last name first
Display would be:
If first name specified: first name
If no first name: nickname
If no first name and no nickname: last Name
(4 and 5 would not exist in this example as if you have both you also have a first name so this is contained in priority 1 ;) )

So a database of:
First - Last - Nick
--- - Miller - ---
Jack - Daniels - ---
Jim - Beam - Jimmy
--- - --- - Mickey
--- - Stinson - Barnman

Would with sorting from a to z and the second example be sorted and shown like this:
Barnman
Jack
Jim
Mickey
Miller

And would be sorted and shown like this for the first order example:
Barnman
Jack Daniels
Jimmy
Mickey
Miller

Hope it is clear what I mean. I think this would be not so hard to program and would be a easy way to make it possible to define many different sorting orders without really explicit defining them only with the "priority method".
dwp
Site Admin

Re: "Display as" and sorting

Post by dwp »

Hello
Thank you for your suggestion.
But because Android is not the contact name and nickname saved to the same data row. This led to nicknames and name simultaneously involved in sorting very difficult. I can think of is to load all the data into memory. Then sort. But this time-consuming and memory. For a large number of contacts.