[No bug- system related]Cannot View contact detail

Moderators: dwp, devin

Skilover

[No bug- system related]Cannot View contact detail

Post by Skilover »

When I click on the name of a contact, rather than going to a screen showing the contact detail information, I get a screen saying: "Complete action using:..." and it lists one other installed app (TouchPal Dialer) and View Contact, which is part of the OS. It is almost like the contact viewer is broken and the device is trying to lead me to one that works. I have no idea what causes this, but I cannot either view the contact, or dial the numbers (other than the default number which I can dial by pressing the green telephone icon) without being transferred to another app. Clearly this is NOT what is supposed to happen. I have DW Pro 2.0.
camel

Re: Cannot View contact detail

Post by camel »

Skilover wrote:When I click on the name of a contact, rather than going to a screen showing the contact detail information, I get a screen saying: "Complete action using:..." and it lists one other installed app (TouchPal Dialer) and View Contact, which is part of the OS. It is almost like the contact viewer is broken and the device is trying to lead me to one that works. I have no idea what causes this, but I cannot either view the contact, or dial the numbers (other than the default number which I can dial by pressing the green telephone icon) without being transferred to another app. Clearly this is NOT what is supposed to happen. I have DW Pro 2.0.
hi Skilover,
well,never heard about such problems.
at first i need more informations:
do you update to latest DW Contacts & Phone -> should be 2.03 ?
Have you tried to uninstall "TouchPal Dialer" ? -> i tried this app also, but after that i had some problems
(You will see the dialer in DW Contacts & Phone is more powerful)
Which device do you use ?
Which Android system do you have installed ?
Which ROM do you use ?

If you click on a contact, then it will open the android API -> view detail on contact.
If you have several applications installed, which can "view contact detail", then you will get a choose of all apps, which should be possible to use for view.
If you click on dialer icon -> then DWC will call the system API for dialing, if there are several dailers, then maybe there is a problem on your system.
Please uninstall the broken apps, and you will be happy again :)

cu camel
Skilover

Post by Skilover »

OK, I removed Touchpad dialer, no change. Now it shows me a choice of the built in app, and one more I had before I'd forgotten, Rocket dial. I am using Droid X, Gingerbread, Darkslide ROM. I did upgrade to 2.03, no change. This is very strange. It's like when the phone goes to look for the component of the app that does contact detail it's missing, so it offers up another app instead. If I click on the picture on a contact, I can get the choice of showing phone numbers, contact detail, email, etc. I can select phone numbers there and dial one. BUT if I select contact detail, the same thing happens, I get offered another app.
Skilover

Post by Skilover »

By the way, I don't think I have "broken apps" for dialer. I now have only two, yours and Rocket Dialer, which works fine, along with the built-in apps. There is something going on with DW and my system.
camel

Post by camel »

Skilover wrote:OK, I removed Touchpad dialer, no change. Now it shows me a choice of the built in app, and one more I had before I'd forgotten, Rocket dial. I am using Droid X, Gingerbread, Darkslide ROM. I did upgrade to 2.03, no change. This is very strange. It's like when the phone goes to look for the component of the app that does contact detail it's missing, so it offers up another app instead. If I click on the picture on a contact, I can get the choice of showing phone numbers, contact detail, email, etc. I can select phone numbers there and dial one. BUT if I select contact detail, the same thing happens, I get offered another app.
only to be sure, that i know what you are doing:
1.) open DWC
2.) go to tab "contacts"
3.) (long press on contact) -> long press menu -> "Show contact" -> (then it will show you the contacts detail with your stock app for contact details)
does this works ?

1.) open DWC
2.) go to tab "contacts"
3.) (click on contact name) -> (then it will show you the contacts detail with your stock app for contact details)
does this works ?

if you get after step 3 an offer/choice which app you should use -> then definitv you have there an extra app, which is also providing you the same API class on "view contact".

if so:
which offer do you get ? (please write exact the offer class of this apps)
do you also get on this popup a offer "user always this app" ?
(this does only tell you, that you have multiple apps which are showing the contact detail, normally you should have there an app: "contact" (also the icon is looking your stock app for contacts, this shouldwork, because it is the android API for detail of a contact.)
DWC do not "view details of contact"<- DWC only call the standard android API for "view contact details", so it is almost impossible to be a problem of DWC.

PLS: i know about rocket dialer (i tried it also): what is in rocket dialer better as in DWC ? (if something is missing, then let me know, so that we can implement it)
thanks
cu camel
sonhy

Post by sonhy »

Hi, can i confirm that DWC does not have a contact view page? and it uses the system default single contact viewer?
Would it be possible to create a contact view page?
I think DWC would make a much better view and more options.
camel

Post by camel »

sonhy wrote:Hi, can i confirm that DWC does not have a contact view page? and it uses the system default single contact viewer?
Would it be possible to create a contact view page?
I think DWC would make a much better view and more options.
the stock API viewer of every android is different and is related on manufacturuers databases, features, etc...
so, i'm not sure if we can shown more details.
if we would make an extra "view detail on contact", then we would have the problem, that we can't remove the STOCK "view contact", and then we would have 2 viewers inside ?, hmm not sure if this would an good idea ...
sonhy

Post by sonhy »

Ok, so you mean, every time we click on a contact name in the DWC contact list, DWC makes an API call to "view stock contact app" ??

I suggest maybe instead of calling the "view stock contact" API, the user is taken to DWC's own View Contact page and then another click to go to the "stock contact view" app. This "view DWC contact page" maybe can be an option that must be turned on first to use - disabled by default to save memory?

Now, for DWC to work out a user's stock contact database structure, maybe there could be a RUN-once function to detect or try to create possible contact data fields in the stock database and save this custom data field mapping in the settings file. This mapping result will tell DWC which fields to disable (not show) in the DWC view contact page, for this particular user.

I am just guesting the situation, so please forgive if i am wrong or asking too much.

* I really would like this feature because i have the motorola defy and motorola is very very bad with software (but great with hardware and price), their stock contact view app is stupid but currently I have no other app to use. I dont mind using the stock app to edit my contacts (i actually use MyPhoneExplorer app to edit contacts & calendar events), but it would be great to have a DWC View Contact page for viewing all data fields and using long press menu options on each field. My stock app has very limited long press menu items. If DWC can grab each data field, then it can apply more long press menu options, like open in "Sygic GPS navigation" for any address type fields.

thanks.
camel

Post by camel »

ok, thanks for your idea - haven't know, that the stcok view-class is so bad.
we will try to add a "view class" + option in settings, where this can be deactivated.
(but this will be a lot of work - but i can think, that this can be possible for PRO version ...in next 4 weeks

if DWC viewer -> then:
.) show all infos+tab for viewing the complete history of this contact (calls,sms,etc..)
.) also button to view via stock viewer class
.) also button to edit via stock viewer class

PLS: i use for editing -> application: (on market you can get it) "contact editor++" (few costs) or you can use the free version "contact editor", this is the best and is the nly one which can editing all fields (also on exchange account, which other can only editing limited fields). it integrate to use the same editing-class like stock, and you'll be asked, which class you want to use. This app - we will include link to it, as we suggest - and also we will work in future more together, so that user can editing also the events of EAS accounts directly in several formats (motorola need timeformat as timestamp, and this can all be set in this application, and is also every cent worth)

cu camel
sonhy

Post by sonhy »

Yes the stock contact app on motorola phones is very bad and i would never use their software, but i like motorola hardware quality and low prices. I have gone swimming and snokeling with my phone for hours and no problems at all. Good to take photos and videos and also use GPS on the jetski.

I will wait and see how this feature works when you are done, no rush and thank you.

If the feature only provides viewing of info, maybe i cannot buy the PRO version, (maybe i am cheap :p sorry ) - but if the feature provides alot of long press menu options (tap and hold options), then I might be more interested.

Contact Editor looks ok. but i like to use MyPhoneExplorer because it can edit contacts quicker via the computer and also auto sync everything with my PC via wifi connection. I use tasker to detect the cell tower ID at my home, then turn on Wifi so i can connect to my home wifi network. then turn on MyPhoneExplorer client on my phone and then the app will auto backup my contact, calendar, sms, call logs, custom files, pictures, etc. to the MyPhoneExplorer server on my home PC. This is better with more options than google sync, and google cannot sell my personal data.
Of course the down side is I will not be able to sync if i do not go home.

One day someone will make an All in One android backup app that will capture all important data into plain text, allow to zip it all with a password and then auto upload to an FTP drive via 3G. That is what i had on my old windows mobile 6.5 phone (PIMBackup to backup all data, then use Basic4PPC to zip it up with password and then upload to ftp).

Does anyone know an app that can do this now?
I would really pay alot for this as it will allow me to always have a current backup even if I lose the phone.
camel

Re: [No bug- system related]Cannot View contact detail

Post by camel »

well, all your wishes - you can do with titanium backup + titanium media sync - and maybe also tasker...